In which Erika describes bits of our lives for those who care.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Testosterone

Dave and I started reading the book Wild Things a couple weeks ago. It's about parenting boys, and when we began it all seemed so theoretical to me. But it's funny--within the past week Rolland has entered a new phase of his boyhood, and suddenly I'm a lot more motivated to read the book.

Used to be on snowy, blowy days we could find plenty to keep us amused inside all day long. Last Tuesday Rolland had so much energy to burn that I sent him outside alone while Opal and I watched from behind the (closed) slider while he shoveled the lawn and abandoned his soaking wet gloves.

Used to be going to a restaurant was a fun family experience during which Rolland would quietly observe his surroundings while Dave and I encouraged him to try exotic food. Last night Rolland refused to stay in his seat until we threatened punishment, asked questions like, "IS THIS MY RESTAURANT VOICE?" and greeted our waiter with, "Hey, guy!"

I should've known this was coming. I think it typically happens sooner. We never experienced anything approaching "terrible" during his entire 2-year-old year--and this certainly isn't terrible. In fact, it's most often hilarious. He's getting to be such a smart little stinker. But I'm finding that an increase in his energy demands an increase in mine. I guess that's what happens, though. You pass Level One, the tetriminos start falling faster, and you've got to keep up. God, be our strength!

December 2008

December 2009

December 2010

December 2011

No comments: