In which Erika describes bits of our lives for those who care.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

What We Did Saturday Night

When I think back to what I used to do on Saturday nights, I wonder why I wasted my time. Getting dressed, going out, and staying up late don't hold a candle to getting comfortable, trying a new recipe, and hanging out with the fam. Ahh, I feel relaxed just thinking about it.

Last night we had Poutine, a Canadian dish layering fries, cheese, and gravy. Here's the recipe I used: Poutine. The gravy was great. I think I'll cheat on the 'taters next time. Our house still smells like fried.

Then we turned on the game, but we don't like commercials, so Dave did a little surfing, and what should be on but...The Lawrence Welk Show!!! So, the Sterken family sat around the TV on a Saturday night and enjoyed a variety of singing, dancing, and big band entertainment. Rolland's favorites were the accordion and the saxophone. I enjoyed the 70s eye make up, the pink leisure suits, the soft focus on the close up camera shots, etc. But my highlight was when I asked, "Rolland, would you like to learn to tap dance?" and he said, "Yes." Hooray! All my dreams are coming true!

After that good time, Opal's night took a turn for the awesome when we gave baths. No matter where she is or what she's doing, when Opal hears the bathtub faucet turn on, she immediately bursts into tears and starts crawl-lunging toward the bathroom at top speed. She continues crying and flailing desperately until we manage to fight her clothes off and get her in the tub, at which point she switches instantly to laughing, splashing, and stealing all of Rolland's bath crayons. (You can see her going for them in the picture, following).

Unfortunately, Dave's night didn't end as he'd hoped when the Lions managed to "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" (thanks for the line, Dad) and we ended up going to bed after 11:00 pm, (thanks for the late games, Eastern Standard Timezone--boo).

But, still, it was way better than back when we were "young and free." I mean, what beats this?:

No comments: