In which Erika describes bits of our lives for those who care.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yet Another Brush with Fame


When I (Erika) lived in Chicago, I got to go to a taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, an NPR news-quiz radio program that I never listened to. It was a fun experience for of the novelty of it, but I didn't really get the ongoing jokes, and it wasn't a thrill to see the "star" personalities.

So, imagine my excitement yesterday when I got to experience a live taping of one of my favorite radio programs! I've been listening to Moody Radio ever since I moved away from Chicago (go figure), and one of the shows I look forward to is Midday Connection with Anita Lustria (left in the photo) and Melinda Schmidt (right). They interview people every day at 12:00 Central on various topics of interest, and they're always so kind, even when people say things I would be forced to make fun of. I've admired their ability to keep conversation going, and to find something redeeming in every caller's comment.

Well, yesterday I drove out to Holland at lunchtime by myself (since I have no friends who don't work and don't have kids) (thank you, G&G Sterken for babysitting!), parallel parked a huge Impala, and joined about 64 other women for a lunch/taping of Midday Connection. We had fancy Cobb salads with the ingredients laid out in rows, and then we clapped on cue and provided a "live audience feel" as they taped the program. (It will air next Tuesday, the 29th. I didn't ask any questions or cough loudly enough to be heard, so don't tune in just to hear me.)

They interviewed Shelly Beech (center), a local author who has written The Silent Seduction of Self Talk, which, after hearing her speak, I think I recommend. I got to talk to both Anita and Melinda personally for a few moments during the luncheon, but I suspect I made them a bit awkward with all my staring. I wasn't star-struck; I just couldn't get over seeing their so-familiar voices coming out of their totally random faces.

They were every bit as nice in person as I had suspected, and it was fun watching their signals to each other for who was going to talk while they were taping. I was shocked to see them read the intro and outro from a script! They always sound so natural; I had never guessed. I'm a little relieved about how it all went. It's always a risk, meeting people you admire in person, but I've concluded that I'm a bigger fan than ever, esp now that I can tell their voices apart.

www.middayconnection.org

1 comment:

Eva said...

i like that, when ppt say things that you'd be forced to make fun of. ! So funny.