In which Erika describes bits of our lives for those who care.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Unlikely Economics

I (Dave) set a new personal record last Friday when I got--not one, not two, but THREE job offers. OK, so maybe "substitute teacher" is stretching the definition, but it was a real possibility for work. Two of the job options (subbing or working part-time for a food testing lab) seemed like good ideas because those jobs left me with ample time for contacting churches and working on Partner Development. Nonetheless, I accepted the third offer, which is a full-time job working as a teacher's aide. This has set me to thinking about God's economics.

This new job opportunity (which includes insurance benefits) came along at just the right time. My short-term insurance recently ended, Erika will soon lose coverage, we have a baby coming soon, and our bank account has sprung a leak that just won't quit. The new job seems to be God's way of providing for all of those needs, as well as giving me a chance to be involved in education again! But what about the time we need for Partner Development?

You may remember our story about Erika's birthday when we were awarded a $10,000 matching grant. Last week we finished (finally) all the official paperwork for that grant AND last week we moved above 50% of the way to fulfilling the match. What that means is that since Erika's birthday in July we have received more than $500 in monthly pledges! And along with those pledges, we've gotten wonderfully encouraging notes from our partners. One, an adult MK, wrote about his understanding at a personal level the need for this type of ministry. Another supporter increased his pledge and explained how excited he is to be an active part of what God is doing in Europe.

I have learned during this week of upheaval in the US economy that God's economy is something altogether different. Only He can meet our needs now and in the future, so I must be careful not to put my confidence anywhere else--not in my bank account, not in my job, and not even in my "abilities" to convince people to give money to camping ministry.

2 comments:

Eva said...

Cool!

Anonymous said...

Good words Dave and congratulations again. Let us know how things are going.